What Are Housing Disrepair Claims

What Are Housing Disrepair Claims

Disrepair claims are a way of claiming compensation from your landlord or housing association for the poor conditions you have been living in. They can cover a wide range of issues including damp and mould, gas leaks, faulty central heating and a lack of hot water.

These problems can impact on your health, destroy your possessions and make your home uninhabitable. Our housing disrepair solicitors will be able to help you with a claim for damages.

Damage to your property

If you live in a property which has been damaged and is causing problems, you may be eligible to make a claim. This could be against the landlord of your rented home, the local council or a housing association.

Landlords have a legal obligation to maintain your home in a safe, clean and healthy condition. Unfortunately, sometimes, this doesn’t happen.

Your landlord must respond to any issues you report to them and arrange for them to be repaired in a reasonable time. However, sometimes they fail to do this and damage can continue to occur and affect your life.

In such cases, it’s best to make sure the problem is reported to your landlord and they are given a chance to repair it before you decide to take legal action against them. This can help to give you more leverage and the landlord may be shocked into finally repairing the damage.


When a pest infestation becomes too severe, it can cause damage to your business. It can also put your customers at risk of illness or disease.

In addition to damage, pests are often known to spread disease through their fur, droppings, saliva and urine, which can result in a number of negative health implications for those who come into contact with contaminated areas.

A foul or unpleasant smell is another common sign of pest infestation. These can be particularly noticeable in areas that are regularly used for food preparation.

As a tenant, you have the right to live in safe living conditions, and your landlord is required to carry out all necessary repairs to their property to ensure this. If your landlord fails to uphold this, you may be eligible to claim compensation.

Damp and mould

Damp and mould are more than just a nuisance, they can also pose a risk to your health. This is because it can irritate your skin and produce allergens.

It can affect people of all ages, including babies and children. It can also lead to respiratory problems like asthma and pneumonia.

However, there are a few things you can do to minimise the effects of damp and mould. These include making sure that there is enough air circulation in your home.

Penetrating damp is a problem that can affect any type of house or flat. It occurs when rain penetrates the building’s masonry, causing black mould to grow in your property.

As a tenant, you must report the presence of penetrating damp to your landlord as soon as possible. You should describe the extent of the problem and any damage caused to your belongings, and ask them to fix it.

Failure to uphold the structural integrity of your home

Keeping your home in tip-top condition is a challenge, whether you are living in a rented property or your own home. If you’ve been left in a state of disrepair by your landlord and want to get it fixed, you can make a claim for compensation.

The structural integrity of your home is important for several reasons, including safety and resale value. It can also be a source of pride and enjoyment for your family. A well-built home can last for years. The best way to test this is to conduct a periodic inspection. This can be done by yourself or with the help of an expert. A good inspector should be able to identify areas of concern as well as potential areas for improvement. Likewise, a well-designed maintenance schedule will save you time and money in the long run. To learn more about claiming compensation for housing-related damages, you can contact our team of experienced housing claims solicitors today.