Wainscoting: A Guide to Installation, Style and More
Wainscoting is a classic way of adding character and depth to your home. Learn about different wainscoting ideas from experts in the field as well as their benefits.
Wainscoting is an old-fashioned element, but it can still be useful today, especially for bringing warmth and richness to any room. Adding wainscoting panels to your walls will give the room more dimension and character, and is also easy enough for most people with average DIY skills to do.
Types Of Wainscot Paneling:
If you’re not sure where to start when looking at types of wainscot paneling, this list shows you three kinds of material that are particularly popular:
- Traditional wood panels: Some of these come pre-assembled and ready to install, while others will need to be framed by the homeowner.
- Plastic wainscot panels: This type is made of a light, white plastic material that can easily be painted for any decorating style you want.
- Fiberglass wainscot panels: These are stronger than traditional wood and lighter than all-plastic paneling models. Each one comes with attachment hardware that makes it easy to attach these panels to your wall.
Benefits Of Adding Wainscoting To Your Home:
Here are some benefits of adding wainscoting panels to your walls:
- They’re stylish: With so many different styles available, wainscoting is one of the most stylish ways to decorate your walls.
- They’re inexpensive: Scotting can bring an upscale look to your home without breaking your budget. Surrounding entire rooms in wainscot panels is not very expensive at all, and you don’t need to spend much money on paint or other decorations once it’s up.
- It makes cleaning easy: Because wainscoting is raised up away from the ground, dust and dirt are less likely to collect; this means you won’t have to clean as often.
- It protects the walls: During a remodel, wainscoting can protect your walls from damage and dirt.
- They’re easy to install: Whether you want wood, plastic, or fiberglass wainscot panels, all are easy to install yourself with just a few tools.
When you decide to choose wainscoting panels for your home, there are different choices in materials that you will need to make. Each paneling material has its own set of benefits and drawbacks so be sure to consider which one is best for you before choosing your wainscoting ideas.
10 Inspiring Ideas for Wainscoting Your Home
Wainscoting is a fantastic way to add a touch of elegance to your home. It’s the perfect way to meet your visual needs and enhance any room in your house. If you’re looking for some innovative ideas on how to use wainscoting as an interior design tool, here are 10 great ways to do so:
1. In The Entryway
Adding an elegant touch to the entryway will make it stand out from other areas of your home. You can also spruce it up even more by adding a fresh coat of paint before installing this decorative yet functional detail.
2. In The Dining Room
The dining room is one of the most used rooms in the house – that’s why you need wainscoting. No matter what type of dining table you own, wainscoting will add a touch of refinement and class that you can’t get anywhere else!
3. In The Kitchen
The kitchen is one of the most used rooms in the house because it’s large enough for family & friends to gather while preparing meals or serving food, etc. Wainscoting here is key to creating an upscale look that makes guests feel comfortable while also improving your home’s décor and image as a whole.
4. In The Living Room
Much like the dining room, installing wainscoting in your living room is extremely beneficial not only to your visual appearance but also for safety reasons – particularly if there are children or pets around. A lot of homeowners choose wainscoting for this reason alone.
5. In The Home Office
If you’re looking for a way to make your home office stand out from the rest of the house, adding wainscoting is one effective solution. Not only does it enhance the visual appearance but it can also act as an organizational tool! Many people use these panels to display family photos or home décor accessories like picture frames and vases.
6. In The Bedroom
The bedroom is where you go to escape, relax, and rejuvenate – that’s why adding wainscoting here is perfect. You can use these panels as decorative headboards or just as wall décor in general. There are plenty of ways you can bring it to this area of the house without sacrificing function or design.
7. In The Bathroom
If you’re looking for a way to add décor while improving functionality, then wainscoting is an excellent choice for your bathroom. Not only will it improve the visual appeal but it can also minimize water damage in this room by acting as a shield between the walls and excess moisture.
8. In The Laundry Room
Did you know that adding wainscoting in the laundry room makes it look more sophisticated? It’s true! By using these panels on all four walls, you’ll turn this functional space into prime real estate … minus the actual cleaning required of course! You can also paint them a different color than the walls to give them some depth.
9. Wainscoting in The Mudroom
The mudroom is typically used for organizing shoes and coats, yet it’s also a great place to add some wainscoting! Not only does it make the room look more elegant but it can also minimize damage from moisture. Wainscoting here will not only hold up well over time, but it also enhances the appearance of the space!
10. In The Attic or Basement Bedrooms
This is another area where adding wainscoting is a good idea. Not only does it enhance your décor with class and style, but it can also be used as a headboard in these cases. You’ll find that wainscoting is a great way to decorate this area of your home so you can turn it into an addition that you’ll actually enjoy– as opposed to just another room.
With all that said, there are plenty of ways wainscoting can improve your home’s interior design. If you’re looking for decorative touchups that will enhance the appearance of any room in your house, then adding wainscoting is an easy way to do just that!
Wainscoting is a great way to add character and depth to your home, and it’s not as difficult or expensive as you might think. If you’re considering adding wainscoting to your home, we recommend using a contractor who can help you get the perfect look for your space. With a few simple tips, you can create a beautiful focal point in any room in your house with wainscoting – so what are you waiting for? Get started today!