Architects are an integral part of any city, and Lahore is no exception. With so many people living in such close quarters, the need for well-designed and sustainable buildings has never been greater. In fact, considering the rapidly growing population and its accompanying demands, there is no better time to explore the fields of architecture and urban planning. To help you on your way, we’ve put together a list of some of the best architects in Lahore currently working in Lahore (and some who are upcoming stars). Check them out below!
1. Ahsan Soomro
Ahsan Soomro is a Pakistani architect who has designed a number of significant buildings in Lahore, including the Lahore Museum of Art and the Lahore Fort. He is also responsible for various public projects in the city, including the completion of Multan’s new airport and the redevelopment of the old Walled City.
Soomro was born in 1951 in Punjab province. After studying architecture at Punjab University, he began his career working for local practice SKETCH, before establishing his own practice in 1984. Since then, he has won a number of awards for his work, most notably the Pashto Academy Award for Architecture in 2006 and the Aga Khan Award for Architecture in 2007. In 2010, he was appointed vice-chairman of Pakistan’s National Commission on Development Planning.
1. Farooq Sheikh is a Lahore-based architect and founder of the award-winning practice, Sheikh Farooq Architects. He has been named one of the ’50 Most Influential Young Pakistanis’ by The Express Tribune and was appointed as Vice Chancellor of the University of Technology Lahore in 2016.
2. His portfolio includes landmark projects such as the National Arts Academy in Lahore, the Gulberg City Centre Master Plan, and the restoration of the Badshahi Mosque in Karachi. He is also currently working on several major projects in Lahore. Including the redevelopment of Wapda Town. An upmarket neighbourhood located close to major landmarks such as The Shalimar Gardens and Regal Cinema.
3. In 2013, Farooq Sheikh was shortlisted for the prestigious Pritzker Prize. Awarded annually to architects who have made significant contributions to architecture. For his design of the National Arts Academy in Lahore.
Naeem Aslam Khan
Naeem Aslam Khan specializes in modernist architecture. Which is known for its simplification of form and emphasis on
functionalism. He has worked on a variety of projects. Including the Lahore Museum of Modern Art (LMMA), the Gulberg Housing Scheme, and the University of the Punjab. In 2016, he was awarded the Pritzker Prize, one of the highest honors in architecture. Here are five things to know about him:
1. Naeem Aslam Khan was born in Lahore in 1957.
2. He studied at the National College of Arts in Islamabad before earning his degree from Columbia University in New York City in 1982.
3. After returning to Pakistan, he started working for Ammiq Cambridge Architects before founding his own firm, NAK Studios, in 1990.
4. His first major project was the LMMA, which opened in 2002. It is considered one of Pakistan’s most important museums of modern art.
5. In 2016, he was awarded the Pritzker Prize. One of the highest honors in architecture.
Muhammad Farooq is a renowned Pakistani architect who has been working in the industry for over 20 years. He is known for his innovative designs and has won numerous awards for his work. His latest project is the Lahore Museum of Art. Which is set to open in 2018. Here are some of Muhammad Farooq’s other famous projects:
-The Royal Plaza Hotel & Spa, Islamabad
-The Hyderabad House, Karachi
-The Jinnah International Airport Terminal III, Islamabad
-The Shalimar Gardens hotel, Lahore
There are a lot of talented architects out there and it can be difficult to decide which one to hire for your project. However, by reading this article you will have a good starting point in finding the best architects in Lahore. Additionally, if you are looking for upcoming architecture firms in Lahore, then read on!