If you’ve recently purchased a mobile home, you may wonder how to level it. It’s essential to ensure that your mobile home is level to maintain structural integrity and prevent potential damage. Fortunately, dropping a mobile home doesn’t have to be a complex process. In this guide, we will provide you with a step-by-step process on how to level a mobile home so you can do it yourself.
Tools and Materials Needed
Before you begin leveling your mobile home, you must ensure you have all the tools and materials you need. Contingent upon your circumstance, you might require a level, jacks, cinder blocks, plywood, wood screws, and other supplies.
Additionally, if you want to install mobile home skirting around the exterior of your home, you’ll need to purchase skirting panels, trim, and hardware to secure it in place.
Once you’ve gathered the necessary supplies, you can begin leveling your mobile home.
Steps to Leveling a Mobile Home
1. Place the jack that stands beneath the mobile home’s frame on the low side of the house.
2. Place a 2×4 or metal bar across two jack stands and use it as a level for your mobile home.
3. Carefully turn the screw jacks beneath each stand until the level is horizontal.
4. Check the other corner of the home to ensure its level. Repeat steps 1-3 until the entire mobile home is level.
5. Once the home is level, install skirting around it using screws and nails to secure it. You can purchase ready-made skirting from most home improvement stores or create custom skirting using plywood, trim boards, and vinyl siding. When installing skirting, ensure it overlaps the sides of the home to keep animals out and help with insulation.
After Leveling Your Mobile Home
Once you have successfully leveled your mobile home, it is essential to ensure that it remains stable over time. To do this, you will want to install mobile home skirting. Skirting is paneling that wraps around the bottom of the mobile home and helps to seal out the elements and keep pests away. It also helps to give your home a more polished look.
Installing mobile home skirting is relatively easy and should be possible in only a couple of steps:
- Measure the area around the home’s perimeter where you will place the skirting. Leave enough room for any expansion or contraction due to temperature changes. Once you have the measurements, buy the appropriate amount of skirting material.
- Utilize a roundabout saw to cut the evading pieces to the correct size.
- Secure the skirting pieces with screws, ensuring all the seams are sealed properly.
With the skirting in place, you can rest assured that your mobile home will remain stable and level for many years.
Maintaining Proper Leveling in Your Mobile Home
After you’ve leveled your mobile home, it is essential to monitor its level. A mobile home should be regularly checked for proper leveling. This can be done by simply using a group. If any corrections are needed, they should be addressed quickly to avoid potential issues down the road.
When you check the level of your mobile home, you should be looking at both the interior and exterior. You should also check that the trailer and skirting are not lifting from the ground. Additionally, inspect your mobile home for any signs of water damage, such as rotting wood, rust, or other problems.
If there are any changes to the ground around your mobile home, such as new landscaping or a nearby tree that has been removed, it is essential to recheck the level. This will ensure your mobile home is still correctly balanced on the site.
It is also essential to keep an eye out for the appearance of new cracks in the ground. Even if these cracks are small, they could lead to an unstable foundation and require additional leveling work.
Finally, if you experience any weather-related issues with your mobile home, such as heavy snowfall, flooding, high winds, or an earthquake, be sure to check the level of your mobile home as soon as possible afterward.
By monitoring and maintaining your mobile home’s level regularly, you can ensure that it remains stable and secure. This can assist you with staying away from exorbitant fixes from now on.