It’s no secret that every business needs to have a successful website to succeed,
but the art of generating traffic and building loyal audiences has become more nuanced in today’s landscape.
The oversaturation of the internet with content and websites has made it more difficult to stand out in the crowd,
and the competitive race to the top of Google’s page-one search results is now more complicated than ever before.
1. Make sure your website isigh performing per Google’s guidance
A very important factor in how well Google ranks your website—and therefore
how many people are able to find it—is how your site performs. Google’s recent algorithm updates let everyone know that its “Core Web Vitals” would be the new benchmark for measuring a site’s performance.
Here are some key elements for determining high-performing sites:
- Does the main content on a web page load quickly? Google says that to provide a good user experience, the main content should load within 2.5 seconds.
- Is the site quickly responsive when a user tries to interact with a page?
- Are the pages visually stable and minimize the amount of unexpected layout shift of the content on the page?
2. Implement basic SEO techniques
Google owns most of the referral traffic on the internet, and your site should reflect this reality. The good news is that the primary way you can succeed on search is
by creating quality content that serves value to your readers. Google is highly optimized to find content that’s the best on the web, but there are some things you can do to make sure your content is set up for SEO success:
- Write Long-Form Content: Longer, original content ranks higher than shorter, aggregated content. Thorough and reliable posts are the foundation of good SEO.
- Produce Quality Content: Google is constantly updating its algorithm, which often causes volatility to web traffic. This can make content creators nervous that their search rankings could suddenly plummet. However, Google’s primary advice never changes —
- the best way to rank high in searches is by creating meaningful content that serves your readers. Here are official tips from Google on how to create quality, people-first content.
Optimize Your URLs:
One of the best ways to make sure your content gets ranked on search is with short and easy-to-understand URLs. This can be an automatic SEO boost because Google crawls URLs verbatim. For example, if your article is about the best hotels and restaurants in Bali, you may want to make your URL slug “Bali travel tips.”
3. If you are an e-commerce company, diversify your marketing tactics
Content saturation is an industry-wide problem, and the e-commerce space is no exception given that it’s filled with big brands,
small Etsy stores, and everyone in between all fighting for similar audiences. The best way to fight this symptom is to achieve a deep understanding of your audience. This often means connecting with your buyers where they consume content, and using those mediums to engage in new tactics to get their attention.
Here are some pillars of e-commerce marketing today:
- Email Campaigns: Email marketing is one of the easiest ways to start a targeted journey with your most engaged audience. Email marketing has become more popular over the past few years as users long for a more personalized,
- uninterrupted purchasing experience outside of the platforms.
4. E-commerce companies should consider affiliate marketing
It’s estimated that 95% of purchases will be made online by 2040. But not every company is an e-commerce company. Luckily, the flexibility of the open web means that there are user-friendly paths to securing e-commerce revenue without actually selling products of your own. One of the best ways to achieve this is through affiliate marketing.
Affiliate marketing is a performance-based method in which a business rewards one or more affiliates for each visitor or customer brought in by the affiliate’s own marketing efforts. From an e-commerce perspective, this often translates into embeddable shopping links, reviews, and specific content like product roundups. Amazon extensively uses affiliate marketing.
The acceleration of e-commerce over the past few years should entice websites of all kinds and sizes to weigh the benefits of affiliate marketing. It’s a sure bet to increase revenue diversification and, when done effectively, build loyalty with your user base. Not only will a good affiliate marketing experience benefit your users, it can help your SEO and increase your chances of securing recurring revenue.
5. Make site security a top priority
Delivering a secure, high-performing environment with extreme reliability is essential to every site’s success. This means having a site with technology that uses reliable infrastructure.
You often hear about security breaches that impact thousands of sites because open-source CMS options like WordPress are constantly vulnerable to security threats. If you are running a real online business, easily exposed features like plugins are a 2000s-era feature that now serve as a major weakness on your site. Security threats created by outdated plugins can put hundreds of thousands of sites at risk.
To make sure your data is protected, look into a publishing platform that offers 24-7 support and is transparent about how they safeguard their site network.
7. Create evergreen content
Growing your website traffic isn’t just about getting the maximum audience for your content. It’s also about keeping that growth continuing over time. That’s why evergreen content is a must-have for any website. Evergreen content is content based on topics that never go out of style and revolve around your site’s core talking points.
Evergreen content will always be relevant to your audience and it can be frequently updated over time. For instance, if you have an article about “How to Win at SEO,” you can continue to update it with new updates from Google, new strategy tips, and in-depth training on how to master SEO.
Publishing evergreen content is also great for SEO. If you can create quality evergreen content around the key phrases you want to win and employ smart SEO techniques, you may be able to reap the benefits of consistent traffic from searches.